Friday, January 3, 2014

Who on the elevated?

There's a froggy smell to the air
and next a nose up the spine
of a twenty. The seat protectors
old carpet and shared
by a green plaid shirt
politely declines the folded bill
and tells you about the 80s.
I wasn't around in the 80s, you say.
In the 90's, yeah.
The plaid says, oh yeah. Also, well, gotta take care.
And you say, I do, I turned 18 last year.
I finished high school.
There's not a lot I have to say about this
except that my reporting is terrible
the real exchange not brief, articulate
the feeling on that vehicle so gentle
each of us a shape in a seat
firmly at ease
the late afternoon takes it all
in its long rays
it does not cut the distress for why
I would not say that in your
dark clothes and dry line eyes you
saw it any less sharp than us rest
there's a cover not shared.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment