Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poppy

I always liked my grandfather
who lived in Florida the best
He didn't have arthritis
His house didn't smell like smoke
He had a pool
and a beach across the street
He always hugged
and kissed me
and let me sit on his lap
He always smiled
and laughed
and made jokes
He didn't make me say
my prayers at night
And his wife would always yell at him
for letting us stay up too late
He'd glance over and sneak us a wink
in between the lecture
then tuck us into bed
with a kiss on our sunburnt cheeks
I was the saddest when he died
We never had a funeral
Just hung his military flag in the yard
When I got older I learned why
my grandma divorced him
Poppy cheated on her
when they were much younger
Poppy wasn't a good father
because he wasn't around enough
Poppy drank too much
But to a little kid
none of that matters
if he's good to you
You love Poppy

No comments:

Post a Comment