Thursday, January 9, 2014

HOME


“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.” – Carson McCullers

mom’s body as a house
mom’s house as a body

I want to leave and come back
leave and come back
leave and come back
one thousand times
but even that
wouldn’t be enough

my house is my body and
my body is my house and
I can’t bear to be away
long enough to get
anywhere I want to go

in the morning I stumble
down the steps
past the wisteria vine
which came back
to life after 5 years dead
the kind of miracle we pray
and pray for
knowing full well
we’ll never get it

I’m in the chicken coop
sloshing tea on woodchips
smearing poop
on my nightgown
as ten chicks totter out
from beneath their mom
her wings a literal wall
her whole body their house

meanwhile my mother
is a powder in a plastic bag
resting on a chest of drawers
inside my house

my mom’s house as my house
my house as my mom’s house

yellow now, not blue,
mine now, not hers
and then there’s our bodies

my body wants to be a house
with sturdy wooden walls
a base to leave from
and return to
a place to sleep deeper
than you’ve ever slept
and to wake up

4 comments: