Thursday, January 16, 2014

I do not need evidence


I do not need evidence that I am safe here
It’s in my bones
This aliveness
A sanctuary
Even in its broken state
The way these primeval synapses
Turn the embodied verdict
Into a house on fire
Even here
Among the flames
And barred windows
I’m home

So I sit here
Reciting my godless prayers
Counting my blessings
Like anchors
In a bottomless sea
A recognition
A freedom in it:
That this is the lowest
That I’ve been here before

And that’s when I remember my brother
Dead now 21 years
Frozen as an image, a gesture
The exact pitch of air hum
As he exited or entered a room
The way the dead are remembered
When they die young
I see him
16, already man bodied
Strutting
His shirt off
Making mom proud
And blush
At what a silly and able creature
She created
How he could make her laugh, and also weep
And that time
After mom and dad fought
Back before they gave up on fighting
Mom at the iron
Staring out our modern floor to ceiling window
At what I’m guessing was herself and her life and all its failings
And becomings and not-so becomings
And behind her, my brother’s generous arm
Enclosing her
So that she knows
He knows
And me
A child
Knowing only enough
To keep my mouth shut and observe
Sideways and silently through a reflection
This mysterious love
Memory now and factual
As faith

2 comments: